Monday, November 8, 2010

Do you know what a make-do is?

I've been intrigued lately by these make-do's that I've been seeing  on the internet.  So last night I made one and decided to put one on my selling blog today.  But before I show you, I thought I would give you a little history on what is a Make-do, for those of you out there who don't have a clue.

According to Stephanie Baker of Old World Primitives,
A make-do is created using items that are immediately available, historically out of necessity.  Make-dos can either be antique or new (often made to look old by primitive folk artists).  They incorporate items that broke and were repaired using whatever was on hand, or broken parts that were used in creating something new.  The most common make-dos are handmade pincushions added to the top of the salvaged bases of broken candlestick holders, oil lamps, or teapots.  Pincushion make-dos created by women who made do with what they had were prevalent during the 18th & 19th centuries.

So here is my make-do
L'IL OL BLACK BIRD SITTING ON A CANDLESTICK
$15-PLUS SHIPPING

Black bird was made with black wool and a grey wings.  She even has a shiny blue/black Zarowsky bead for the eyes and a little bling around the neck.  She sits on a weathered brown wooden candlestick


Here is another felted pin cushion up for sale
PINK BOOTY
SOLD



This is a delicate little ceramic boot, mesuring 4" in height and about 3 1/4" out. It says hand decorated on the bottom of the boot.  Sorry for the last picture that was out of focus. Please email me for inquiries.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...